Friday, May 8, 2009

The Holocaust - No Joke


The title of my 2nd book's going to be "The Holocaust."

When I told my friend Dean Gorman this he emailed me the following:

"i can't tell if you are joking or not. you know the holocaust is no joking matter, ron...unless you are a denier..."

Well, I am not joking. And I am not a denier. (those pricks really fucking piss me off.) And I'm not just going for shock or hype value. This book is going to live up to its title. Many of the poems are like dynamite in my blood.

"The Holocaust" is going to be made of "imperfect erasures" of Henry Miller (Tropic of Cancer), Genet (Our Lady of the Flowers) and Joyce (Finnegan's Wake).

Imperfect erasures in that I'm tweaking some words (for example "pass" can become "passed" or "passing" and "he" can become "she" or "me" etc.....)

and i'm also adding, as needed, small words like "and" or "but" or "through" or "in" etc etc

I've got nearly a 100 drafts of individual poems so far, and I have a rough and evolving sense of an overall shape and sequence. Lots of work ahead. Yeah. But I can feel the book. I can feel it. And it is fire in me.

No comments: