Tuesday, January 27, 2009

AmericanWay Writing: Adam Pitluk

A few weeks ago I belittled some of the editor’s writing in AmericanWay (American Airline’s in-flight magazine), calling it “retarded” and “piss-poor” because, frankly, it is.

Okay, so now I’ve just read the editor’s note in the latest AmericanWay and I’m pleased to report that none of the writing seems to me to be obviously retarded and/or piss-poor.

Just to give you more flavor, though, of Adam Pitluk’s style and phrase-making, to follow are some quotes from his latest editor’s note (“Tulsa to Tampa”).


------1)) “Have you ever played this game: Pick any three bands that if you had your way, you could see in concert in present day. It’s the old reliable that my buddies and I like to engage in when we get together.”

-------2)) “Moving forward, American Way, which is still the only inflight magazine published every two weeks, will begin featuring destinations . We’re not doing away with celebrities altogether, though. After all, I’m still quite curious about what makes Paula Abdul tick (you and I will both find out in our February 1 issue).”

-------3)) “But we staffers here agree that it’s time to get back to our roots. We do a heck of a job bringing you the stars of stage, screen, and radio, in my humble opinion, but chances are you’re destined for Kansas City today, not for a rendezvous with Charlize Theron. Both will be on future covers, so if I’m wrong and you are heading out to L.A. and Charlize’s house, I’m still covered.”

--------4)) “And you Tampa locals: I don’t want you to think that the only reason we’re kicking off our destination covers with your city is the Super Bowl. We started with you because, quite frankly, I love Tampa -- especially the food. I’ll take the Pepsi challenge and put the Ceviche Tapas Bar and Restaurant on South Howard Street up against any tapas joint the world over.”

--------5)) “For my money, it doesn’t get any better than a foodie weekend in Tampa.”

--------6)) “Okay, for my money, it doesn’t get any better than listening to the Jayhawks while on a plane from Tulsa to Tampa in order to watch the Super Bowl on February 1, after I’ve finished watching Office Space at Charlize Theron’s house. With Paula Abdul. And Jimi Hendrix. Yep, for my money, it doesn’t get any better than that.”

The entire editor’s note’s available at americanwaymag.com

No comments: