Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Tony Hoagland - Again (Genius, Contempt, Vomit,....)




over at his blog today "Nothing to Say and Saying it" John Gallaher has some interesting things to say about Hoagland's APR article

Gallaher quotes extensively from the article.

And sums Hoagland's thrust up as follows:

His thesis: Dean Young is a genius, and all these young male writers out there who are younger than he is are writing in his shadow and are not geniuses.

I'm going to re-read the Gallaher article now (especially the Hoagland quotes) and might say more later. But in the meantime this is a great opportunity to post up the same pictures I used in a post (Goransson going after Hoagland, etc) i put up a while back

To follow's an excerpt from that post

---------------------------------------

I saw that hack (Hoagland) at an Austin AWP Panel where he talked about the sort of poetry many young poets are writing. Poetry he's not so excited about. All I remember's him being so damned fucking smug. O, yeah, I remember him reading a poem and then saying something like:

I admire the total contempt this poem has for me
I admire the complete disregard blah blah
I admire blah blah blah


Most of the audience were lapping it up.
I was throwing up.
(chunks of Donkey Gospel, etc, etc)

------------------------------------




No comments: